Monday, May 29, 2006

Somebody go get the grownups...


I've had the dubious pleasure of getting to watch the US Legislature from a foreign land these last few months. Barring a little side trip to the Republic of Korea, I've had ready access to the news. Here are a few things that I have noticed:
1. Since when did a criminal investigation become a Separation of Powers issue? Last time I read the Big Kahuna there was something else called "checks and balances." Something about pitting the powers of each branch against each other so that one branch could not be checked by another branch, but by a union of the other two. The FBI (an office of the Executive) having a warrant (administered by the Judiciary) seems to trump the privacy of a congressman's office space.
2. Something is only impossible to do when it is politically hard. Sending the Armed Forces halfway around the globe for months at a time (MULTIPLE TIMES) is difficult. When the strain of these deployments is brought up to the government, they get a pained look on their face and assure us that it is very difficult. "The deployments are causing many hardships to the Armed Services. But the job must be done. No we are not just using these personnel as if they are expendable. They have performed magnificently and continue to accomplish harder and harder missions that we assign them." Sounds good right? Why is it so hard to secure the border? Are we asking too much of the border patrol? The police and federal law enforcement agencies?
3. The remoteness of a politician is equal to the product of the level of office multiplied by the number of reelections, squared. Does anyone remember anyone having a problem with sleep driving? Not falling asleep at the wheel, which I can write another post about (but I digress), but going to bed and then waking up behind the wheel thinking that you are late for a vote on the Hill. I've heard of some strange stories to get out of a DWI before, but not one to top that. Should have just claimed he was Irish and a Kennedy. That would have at least lent some credibility to his story.
4. I have to get another drink, hold on...
5. I seem to have garnered a reputation around the workplace of being some sort of wild man. Several of my junior co-workers hang around just to see what happens next. Doesn't help when my boss brings me whiskey and cigars. That being said, I'm finishing off a fifth of Glenfiddich that he gave me. It's the first good scotch I've had on the Rock. God bless that man.
6. Where was I? Oh yes. I want to be elected to the House of Representatives because of all the power that I would have. I could behave like a cave man (which I do now and have become accustomed) and it would be my RIGHT. I would be above the law. I wouldn't have to stop at metal detectors like I do now. Nothing is better than returning home from Iraq and getting searched to make sure I'm not a terrorist. Nothing is better than having three tours in Iraq and getting singled out for a search every time I get on a plane. If I was in the House, NEVER AGAIN. And I could start drinking and driving and just have the Capital Police take me home. Because everyone would know who I am. I'm going to taper off now because I am starting to sound more shrill than logical.

So what is my point? Why do I keep asking rhetorical questions? I cannot remember the last time I looked at the House (and to a lesser degree, the Senate) and thought "Where do we get such learned and respectable people such as these?" It's really getting frustrating folks. When I was a child I was taught that being a man had great rewards and great responsibility. One had to be a man and put away childish things. Responsibility and accountability were drilled in my head (thanks mom and dad). The same were drilled in by the Marine Corps. Why do we accept behavior from our leaders that we would not accept from the police, the military, or our children? I'll tell you that one tomorrow, and you won't like it...

On a lighter note, here is a pic of me and one of my best friends, Kelvin Sherman. I'm the better looking one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tactical Thinking said...

So much for keeping the hair longer, good blog by the way

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home