Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Taxes

Okay, I'm sorry. I promised something on Roe v Wade this time, but something else caught my attention. I'll get into this subject a bit more in detail in a later column, but here is the gist: Everyone who is a citizen of the USA should pay taxes or no one should pay taxes.
You cannot turn on the tv without some left demogague complaining that the current tax cuts benefit only the rich. You cannot turn on talk radio without someone telling you how cutting taxes on the rich benefits the economy, and ergo, everyone. But lets get to the real problem as I see it. If you are not paying taxes while other people are, then you have no right to any of the government. This could also be applied to military service, but I will release my inner Heinlein later.
At this moment there is talk about eliminating the income tax for people who earn less than $50,000 (single income) or $100,000 (joint filing). While this is a boon for middle America, it does not bode well for the Republic.
I am worried that if we eliminate taxes for some and impose them on others, we will soon see some disturbing behavior in the rich. Why are we being taxed? Why do people who pay no taxes benefit from our money? Since we are paying for the government, why should we not have more say in how it is run and how our money is distributed? Why are we not granted special treatment?
And even though I am one of the ones who would pay no income taxes should the new thinking take hold, I would have to admit that the rich would deserve special treatment and more say. Sort of a political higher class. An example: You are a member of an organized labor union. You pay your dues and are a voting member on the agenda of your union because you are a dues payer. You are now told that some members will no longer have to pay dues but will have the same voting rights that you now enjoy. It is unfair for them to pay because they do not make as much as you do. Would you not feel insulted? Would you not feel that you are appreciated? I would. And I would lobby to make it possible for only those who paid dues to be able to vote on the agenda of the union. (To all you who know me, I am not a huge proponent of unions, but they make a good example for this case.) Why be a part of an organization that simply uses your money with no thanks? And why not change the organization to treat you differently than those that do not contribute?
Paying taxes is a mark of citizenship in this country. Either all should pay or none. How and why we collect taxes is another story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home